Four people have been injured in a stabbing attack near the former office of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris, French prime minister Jean Castex said on Friday.
Mr Castex said one of the victims was in a “critical state”, and that he would go to the interior ministry to manage the crisis. It was unclear how many attackers were involved. Some French media reports initially said it was two, while others said it was only one person.
The attack comes as 14 people allegedly involved in the attack at the Charlie Hebdo offices in January 2015 are standing trial. Those people are accused of helping the two Islamist extremists who stormed the newsroom of the satirical weekly magazine and killed twelve people.
Police cordoned off an area in the north-west of Paris near Boulevard Richard-Lenoir, locking down local schools, and warning people to avoid the neighbourhood.
Deputy mayor Emmanuel Gregoire wrote on Twitter that police were hunting a “potentially dangerous” individual.
Agence France-Presse and Reuters reported that a person had been arrested near Bastille, citing police department sources.